[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Östen Dahl oesten at ling.su.se
Wed Feb 14 21:29:11 UTC 2024

I would like to ask for intuitions about the following, in one or more languages that you are acquainted with.

Suppose your colleague Mary said on Monday: "Tomorrow I'm going to submit my grant proposal." Now it's about noon on Tuesday, and you have no idea whatsoever of the time of the realization of her intention. Maybe she did it in the morning, maybe she'll wait until midnight, and maybe she's just doing it right now. How would you express the sentence below in your language(s), replacing SUBMIT by a suitable verb form? The idea is that you should try to use a maximally simple and natural formulation without excluding any possibility.

Today Mary SUBMIT her grant proposal

All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
- Östen