[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Stefan Savić stefansavicz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:39:04 UTC 2024

 Dear Östen,

In my variety of BCMS (Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian) from Belgrade,
and somewhat in line with some of the responses above, I'd say the
translation really depends on my (the speaker's) attitude to the
proposition (Mary sending her application today).

If I do not want to commit to state that she has managed/will manage to
send it in the course of today, I'd probably say:

(1)
Danas bi         trebalo                   da   Marija
 aplicira                za grant.
today.  COND ought.PST.SG.N  that Mary.F.SG.NOM apply.PRS.IPFV for
grant.M.SG.ACC.INANIM

(2)
Trebalo                  bi           da   je                  Marija
            danas  aplicirala            za grant.
ought.PST.SG.N COND    that be.PRS.3SG Mary.F.SG.NOM today   apply.PST.F.SG
for grant.M.SG.ACC.INANIM

Note that many speakers of my variety conjugate *treba(ti)* as a finite
verb (a use rejected by prescriptivists, i.e. by the standard variety of
Serbian, which only allow the form *treba* in the non-past and *trebalo* in
the past tense), hence one encounters also *trebala je da aplicira*, *trebala
je aplicirati* etc. Also, the verb *aplicirati* is rather new (and is
biaspectual) and can be replaced by a more "traditional" *prijaviti se *(PFV)
or prijavljivati* se *(IPFV), and the noun *grant* can also be replaced by
a number of alternatives, such as *finansiranje *(+ GEN)*, finansijska
sredstva (za ....),* *stipendija*, etc.

If the speaker feels comfortable stating that she will send her application
today, I'd go for the present tense (3), the past tense (4) if I am certain
she already has submitted it or the future if I am certain she has not done
it yet but will do so by the end of the day (5)

(3)
Marija                 danas aplicira               za grant.
Mary.F.SG.NOM today  apply.PRS.3SG for grant.M.SG.ACC.INANIM

(4)
Marija                  je                  danas aplicirala            za
grant.
Mary.F.SG.NOM be.PRS.3SG today  apply.PST.F.SG for grant.M.SG.ACC.INANIM

(5)
Marija                 će                    danas aplicirati   za grant.
Mary.F.SG.NOM will.PRS.3SG  today  apply.INF for grant.M.SG.ACC.INANIM

Best,
Stefan

Sent from Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>