[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Thu Feb 15 18:10:53 UTC 2024

Dear Östen,

as has become clear from the German answers and apparently some others
as well, there is one feature in your contextual description which may
not be essential to your concern but which does make a difference for
the best choice in these languages. It is this: "Suppose your colleague
Mary said...". If she herself is the source of information, I find my
own proposal most natural. If this condition is dropped - with the
source of information being anything else or being no matter -, then
certainly the bare present tense of the verb would suffice.

Best, Christian

Am 14.02.2024 um 21:29 schrieb Östen Dahl:

> I would like to ask for intuitions about the following, in one or more
> languages that you are acquainted with.
>
> Suppose your colleague Mary said on Monday: "Tomorrow I'm going to
> submit my grant proposal." Now it's about noon on Tuesday, and you
> have no idea whatsoever of the time of the realization of her
> intention. Maybe she did it in the morning, maybe she'll wait until
> midnight, and maybe she's just doing it right now. How would you
> express the sentence below in your language(s), replacing SUBMIT by a
> suitable verb form? The idea is that you should try to use a maximally
> simple and natural formulation without excluding any possibility.
>
> Today Mary SUBMIT her grant proposal
>
> All comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> - Östen