[Lingtyp] Non-TAME verbal categories

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 16:18:09 UTC 2024

Dear Adam,

What about:

Simulative (Simulative derivations in crosslinguistic perspective and their
diachronic sources (benjamins.com)
<https://benjamins.com/catalog/sl.22054.jac>) document (hal.science)
<https://hal.science/hal-04217961/document>
Periodic tense (Periodic tense markers in the world’s languages and their
sources (degruyter.com)
<https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/flin-2023-2013/html>) (6)
Periodic tense markers in the world’s languages and their source |
Guillaume Jacques - Academia.edu
<https://www.academia.edu/100176007/Periodic_tense_markers_in_the_world_s_languages_and_their_source>

Guillaume

Le mar. 11 juin 2024 à 18:00, Adam James Ross Tallman via Lingtyp <
lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org> a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> This is question for teaching purposes. I'm teaching a course on TAME
> categories. I wanted to give a lecture discussing "other categories" that
> are not always covered by TAME. Here is what I have thus far:
>
> •Pluractionality
> •Mirativity
> •Temporal remoteness
> •Associated motion
> •Associated posture
> •Apprehension
> •....
>
> Any other suggestions to add to this list would be helpful, leads to
> literature would be even better.
>
> Note, that by non-TAME I don't mean to imply that these categories
> couldn't be lumped in with tense, aspect, modality or evidentiality
> (pluractionality is probably a type of aspect) ... just that people have
> talked about these as grammatical categories in their own right and they
> are not stereotypically discussed in the context of TAME. Actually the fun
> cases are those where there is some literature arguing that the category is
> really just some subpart of TAME (e.g. N. Hall on mirativity), because
> reviewing this literature (+counter arguments) helps reinforce
> understanding of the TAME concepts.
>
> best,
>
> Adam
>
> --