6.623, Calls: Newsletter for lang and law, Germanic syntax newsletter

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 30 04:34:22 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-623. Sat 29 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 152

Subject: 6.623, Calls: Newsletter for lang and law, Germanic syntax newsletter

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 14:37:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bethany Dumas, UTK" (DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU)
Subject: Electronic Newsletter for Language and Law

2)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 11:47:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gert Webelhuth (webelhut at gibbs.oit.unc.edu)
Subject: Spring 1995 issue of the Germanic Generative Syntax Newsletter

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 14:37:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bethany Dumas, UTK" (DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU)

MEMORANDUM ON LANGUAGE AND LAW

TO:             Researchers on Language in the Judicial Process

FROM:           Bethany K. Dumas

RE:             New Electronic Newsletter:
                Language in the Judicial Process

DATE:           April 28, 1995

This is the first call for bibliographic items to be included in a new
electronic newsletter on Language and Law, LANGUAGE IN THE
JUDICIAL PROCESS. The Newsletter will be maintained on a
World Wide Web homepage. The first issues will list current
bibliography, cite relevant legal cases, etc. One goal of the
Newsletter is to continue the fine tradition begin by Judith N. Levi,
whose bibliographical work on language and law over several years
culminated in the publication of her 1994 book, Language and Law.
For the title of the newsletter, I am indebted to Judith and also to
Anne Graffam Walker; their pioneering work in proposing both the
1985 Georgetown University conference, "Language in the Judicial
Process," and its 1990 proceedings volume, constituted a substantial
contribution to the developing field of forensic linguistics. I use the
name "Language in the Judicial Process" with their permission.

If you have authored or know about items you want included, please
send me complete bibliographic citations (including full first names,
please). The preferred style is that of the LSA Style Sheet. The
deadline for receipt of items for the first issue is Monday, May 15.
Items may be submitted by e-mail. by fax, or by post:

E-mail to               dumasb at utkvx.utk.edu

FAX TO                  Bethany K. Dumas
                        Department of English
                        (615) 974-6926

Post to                 Bethany K. Dumas
                        Department of English
                        The University of Tennessee
                        Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0430 USA

Later, I hope the expand to Newsletter to include abstracts and
summaries. If you have abstracts or summaries of items to submit,
please send them--now or later.

In addition, I solicit offprints or other copies of manuscript or
published items to be maintained in a permanent file in my office at
The University of Tennessee.

REFERENCES

Levi, Judith N., and Anne Graffam Walker, eds. 1990. Language in
the judicial process.  New York and London: Plenum Press.

Levi, Judith N. 1994 Language and Law. 1994. Chicago, IL:
American Bar Association.