6.1328, Disc: Teaching as a prestigious occupation?

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 29 18:33:31 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1328. Fri Sep 29 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  140

Subject: 6.1328, Disc: Teaching as a prestigious occupation?

Editor for this issue: hdry at emunix.emich.edu (Helen Dry)

Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 1995 23:57:25 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu
Subject:  Re: 6.1322, Disc: Teaching as a prestigious occupation?

2)
Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:50:31 EDT
From:  sstraigh at bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu ("H Stephen STRAIGHT (Binghamton Uni
versity, SUNY)")

3)
Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 1995 17:15:11 EDT
From:  teacher at amanda.dorsai.org (ESLTEACHER)

Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 1995 23:57:25 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu

Steven Schaufele wrote:

>A couple of weeks ago there was some discussion on the List about the
>possible influence of Saussure on the development of Einstein's theory of
>relativity. I admit that after the first couple of postings or so i
>didn't pay much attention, but at one point during the discussion Roman
>Jakobson was quoted fairly extensively, and one statement caught my eye.
>Speaking of a possible vehicle for Sausure --> Einstein influence, a
>friend/roomate? of Einstein's who was a student of Saussure's, Jakobson
>said that, although the fellow was brilliant, his ideas were unfortunate-
>ly too far in advance of his time, and so he lived out his days as a mere
>schoolteacher.
>What i am mostly concerned about right now is the suggestion that,
>in and of itself, teaching is a disappointing, wasteful, or even disrepu-
>table occupation for a gifted scholar.  As it happens, there are some of
>us (i am personally acquainted with at least one such person) who would
>give almost anything for the opportunity to teach linguistics regularly.
>I would like to know how prevalent in academia, and particularly in lin-
>guistics and language departments, is the notion that teaching is an
>onerous task whose practitioners would prefer to shun it, and that gifted
>scholar/researchers are wasted on classes.

You're misinterpreting the statement. What it says is that Winteler
was unable to land a university position and had to settle for
teaching in a Gymnasium.  That was, and is, by no means rare over there, given
the very small number of professors relative to the number of students.  But
who could disagree that it was a waste to have him teaching a bunch of
obstreporous Quartaner instead of serious university students?

That being said, I can only agree that disrespect for teaching is all too
prevalent in linguistics and language departments.  But don't blame Jakobson.
He was a European, commenting on a European tragedy from a European
perspective.

Leo A. Connolly                         Foreign Languages & Literatures
connolly at msuvx1.memphis.edu             University of Memphis