Jobs: 3 Offers

Philippe Blache pb at lpl.univ-aix.fr
Mon Oct 9 12:12:42 UTC 2000

1/ From: Elisabet Engdahl <elisabet.engdahl at svenska.gu.se>
   Subject: Job announcement: Chair in NLP

2/ From:  Roy J.Byrd <byrd at watson.ibm.com>
   Subject:  Research Associate at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

3/ From: E S Atwell <eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk>
   Subject: Leeds University, Yorkshire

1/ From: Elisabet Engdahl <elisabet.engdahl at svenska.gu.se>

Göteborg University  announces a position as Professor of Natural Language
Processing at the Faculty of Humanities.

Application deadline 26 October 2000.

http://spraakbanken.gu.se/sd/chair.html

Elisabet Engdahl

2/ From:  Roy J.Byrd <byrd at watson.ibm.com>

Rank of Job: Research Associate
Areas Required: Computational Linguistics
Other Desired Areas: Grammar Writing; Lexicography
University or Organization: IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
Department: Knowledge Management Technologies
State or Province: New York
Country: U. S. A.
Final Date of Application: November 2000
Contact: Roy J. Byrd byrd at watson.ibm.com

Address for Applications:
P. O. Box 704
Yorktown Heights
New York 10598
U. S. A.

The Text Analysis and Language Engineering project at IBM Research,
in New York, wishes to hire a computational linguist or lexicographer
who will be responsible for a focused activity leading to the design
and implementation of a functionally complete library of linguistic
resources for American English.  This person will develop electronic
dictionaries and finite-state grammars for use with the Intex NLP
system.  Candidates must be native speakers of American English.
They must also possess basic skills in a second language and be
sensitive to the requirements for linguistic analysis in multiple
languages.  Finally, they must be able to program in script languages
(e.g. in Perl) for research and prototyping purposes.

The ideal candidate will also be able to program in C, speak and read
French and be familiar with the Lexicon-Grammar methodology in
general and with the Intex system in particular.

Skill and Proficiency Levels (1 to 5, with 5 highest):

natural language processing and parsing systems - 5
finite state syntax - 5
specific experience with the Intex system - 4
terminology management - 3
multilingual NLP - 3

3/ From: E S Atwell <eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk>

Please forward this job advert to any computational linguist or computer
scientist looking for a tenured academic post; my Department has secured
significant increase in recurrent funding, allowing us to expand our
permanent staff.
Note: although this is not specifically stated as a requirement,
candidates are unlikely to be appointed unless they have published at
least 4 papers in internationally-excellent journals or conference
proceedings in the period 1996-2000.  This is to comply with the
regulations for the UK national 2001 Research Assessment Exercise.
(candidates can be any nationality, but must comply with UK RAE2001)

--
Eric Atwell, Distributed Multimedia Systems MSc Tutor & SOCRATES Tutor
School of Computing, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT
WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric  EMAIL: eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk

School of Computing, University of Leeds, Yorkshire, England

5 tenured posts: Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Reader

These permanent posts are available in our expanding School, with the
possibility of appointment at Senior Lecturer/Reader level (these posts
are in addition to several Lecturers appointed over the summer).
You will be required to undertake leading-edge research and teaching of
the highest standard within our broadly based degree programmes and should
strengthen one of our existing research groups:

 Constraint Programming and Operational Research,
 Knowledge Representation and Reasoning,
 Multi-disciplinary Informatics,
 Perception and Language,
 Scientific Computation and Visualization,
 Theoretical Computer Science.

Prior experience in teaching, preferably in higher education, would be
an advantage. Applicants should have a Ph.D. (or equivalent experience) in a
relevant discipline. Preference may be given to candidates who can
strengthen our teaching across our four B.Sc. and two MSc. degree
programmes.

The School and the University have made a strategic commitment to
developing multidisciplinary research activity through the formation of an
Informatics Research Institute and applicants who can contribute to its
development are especially welcome.

Informal enquiries may be made to Professor Tony Cohn (tel:0113-233-5482;
fax: 0113-233-5468; e-mail:recruit at comp.leeds.ac.uk).
See http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/vacancies/agc_lectureships_000921.html
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/vacancies/agc_lectureships_000921_f_particulars.
html
for further information about the School and these positions.

Salary: Lecturer A/B (18,731 - 30,967 p.a). For exceptionally well
qualified candidates appointment at Senior Lecturer or Reader level is
possible (32,510 - 39,718 p.a). At least one position will be filled at
lecturer (A/B) level.

Further details are available from http://www.leeds.ac.jobbox.net or
contact Human Resources tel: 0113 233 5771
(textphone for deaf applicants only: 0113 233 4353), e-mail:
recruitment at adm.leeds.ac.uk

Job ref: 048-166-002-009 Closing date: 19 October 2000