Publications: Spoken Language Processing ...

alexis nasr alexis.nasr at lim.univ-mrs.fr
Thu Jun 28 14:00:12 UTC 2001

Spoken Language Processing: A Guide to Theory, Algorithm and System
Development

by Xuedong Huang, Alex Acero, Hsiao-Wuen Hon,

Hardcover - 960 pages 1 edition (April 25, 2001)
Prentice Hall; ISBN: 0130226165 ; Dimensions (in inches): 2.03 x 9.50 x
7.34

>>From the Inside Flap

Preface
Our primary motivation in writing this book is to share our working
experience to bridge the gap between the knowledge of industry gurus and
newcomers to the spoken language processing community. Many powerful
techniques hide in conference proceedings and academic papers for years
before becoming widely recognized by the research community or the
industry. We spent many years pursuing spoken language technology
research at Carnegie Mellon University before we started spoken language
R&D at Microsoft. We fully understand that it is by no means a small
undertaking to transfer a state-of-the-art spoken language research
system into a commercially viable product that can truly help people
improve their productivity. Our experience in both industry and academia
is reflected in the context of this book, which presents a contemporary
and comprehensive description of both theoretic and practical issues in
spoken language processing. This book is intended for people of diverse
academic and practical backgrounds. Speech scientists, computer
scientists, linguists, engineers, physicists, and psychologists all have
a unique perspective on spoken language processing. This book will be
useful to all of these special interest groups.

Spoken language processing is a diverse subject that relies on knowledge
of many levels, including acoustics, phonology, phonetics, linguistics,
semantics, pragmatics, and discourse. The diverse nature of spoken
language processing requires knowledge in computer science, electrical
engineering, mathematics, syntax, and psychology. There are a number of
excellent books on the subfields of spoken language processing,
including speech recognition, text-to-speech conversion, and spoken
language understanding, but there is no single book that covers both
theoretical and practical aspects of these subfields and spoken language
interface design. We devote many chapters systematically introducing
fundamental theories needed to understand how speech recognition,
text-to-speech synthesis, and spoken language understanding work. Even
more important is the fact that the book highlights what works well in
practice, which is invaluable if you want to build a practical speech
recognizer, a practical text-to-speech synthesizer, or a practical
spoken language system. Using numerous real examples in developing
Microsoft's spoken language systems, we concentrate on showing how the
fundamental theories can be applied to solve real problems in spoken
language processing.

>>From the Back Cover

New advances in spoken language processing: theory and practice

In-depth coverage of speech processing, speech recognition, speech
synthesis, spoken language understanding, and speech interface design

Many case studies from state-of-the-art systems, including examples from
Microsoft's advanced research labs

Spoken Language Processing draws on the latest advances and techniques
from multiple fields: computer science, electrical engineering,
acoustics, linguistics, mathematics, psychology, and...

Regards,
XD
Message diffusé par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.biomath.jussieu.fr/LN/LN-F/
English version          : http://www.biomath.jussieu.fr/LN/LN/
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html

La liste LN est parrainée par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhésion  : http://www.atala.org/