(parsers (was: Re: Language families)

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 10:14:13 UTC 2000

  J. F. Schwaller reminded us that Basque etc is off-topic for this group.

  "P. Kurtboke" <pkurtboke at mail.hotkey.net.au> answered:-
> Incidentally, Basque, Turkish, Hungarian, Finnish and a few more happen to
> agglutinate. Those dealing with parsers and other analysis tools for these
> languages might have a bit more than little to do with Nahuatl...After all,
> we all try to reveal the mysteries of affix combinations in our respective
> languages and might all benefit from collaboration.

I have written a parser / auto-translater program for an agglutinating
language - for the invented Star Trek Klingon language, which is more regular
than natural languages tend to be. I wrote it individually for that language,
in Gnu C++ for DOS, not using any programmable parser format like YACC or etc.
I could try to adapt it for Nahuatl (and Windows) if I had to, but coping with
spelling rule variations and the results of assimilations etc at morpheme
junctions would add complications.