-ti verber

Clayton, Mary L. clayton at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:06:56 UTC 2014

Michel and Listeros,
As John said, in Joe’s system, which parallels Andrews' in this regard,
he has two ti- verbers: v01a ti- 'be', 'become', and v04 'have'. V01a
forms its causative by adding -lia (caus04), while v04 forms its
causative by adding -a (caus08).

Below are some examples of intransitive verbs in v04 -ti- 'have' (from
Joe's list of 9/24. For transparency, I am not using Joe’s numbering
for pronimal prefixes. These examples are taken from his databases).

ontzinti 'it begins' FC bk 8 o:n-tzi:ntli- v04  'it has a beginning'.
tzinti 'començarse algo' 55m <tzintli-v04>    = 'for something to have
a beginning'

cf. nitlatzintia 'comenzar algo', 'fundar o principiar alguna cosa' m55
  <ni-tla-tzintli-v04-caus08> = to cause something to have a beginning'

ohxiti 'it has resin' FC bk 11 ohza-l2-v04

ahnihueliti 'no poder o no tener oportunidad para hazer algo'
<ah1-ni-huelitl-v04> 55m, 71m1, 71m2

cf. nitehuelitia 'dar facultad, poder y autoridad a otro para hazer
algo 71m2 <ni-te-huelitl-v04-caus08>

huictih 'they wield a hoe' FC bk7  <huictli-v04-pl>

nitequiti 'servuir el esclauo' 71m1, 'contribuir dar tributo' 55m,
'obra dar' 55m  <ni-tequitl-v04>  = ‘for a slave to have work, duty’

cf. nitetequitia 'ocupar a otro dandole algun tequiuh' 71m1; repartir
tequios' 71m1 <ni-te-tequitl-v04-caus08>   = ‘I give someone work, a
duty’.

ompahtih ‘they get well’FC Bk12  <o:n-pahtli-v04-plur>   = ‘They have
medicine’
opahtic ‘he got well’ FC Bk 10 <o:-pahtli-v04-pret2>   = ‘He had medicine’

cf. nimitzpahtia ‘I cure you” FC Bk 5  <ni-mitz-pahtli-v04-caus08> = ‘I
cause you to have medicine’
cf. nitepahtia ‘sanar a otro’ 55m, 71m1, 71m2   = ‘I cause someone to
have medicine’

     Indeed, v04 with the causative is more common. I give some
additional examples below. The point is that the ti- in these cases
means ‘have’ and not ‘be, become’.

ninocactia 'calzar zapatos; calzarse zapatos o sandalias'
<ni-mo-cactli-v04-caus08> ='I cause myself to have shoes' certainly not
'I cause myself to BE shoes'

ninocamisahtia 'vestirse la camisa' <ni-mo-camisahtli-v04-caus04>  = ‘I
cause myself to have a camisa’

nicahuallocactia 'herrar bestias'  <ni-cahuallo-cactli-v04-caus08>   =
'I cause a horse to have shoes'.

ninonantia, 'tomar por madre'  <ni-mo-na:ntli-v04-caus08>  .  = 'I
cause myself to have a mother'.

nitenantia 'dar aotro alguna por madre, o por madrina'.
<ni-te-na:ntli-v04-caus08>   = 'I cause someone to have a mother'
NOTE that the Spanish equivalents are Molina’s. They mean ‘give’ =
‘cause to have’, not ‘be/become’.

naltepetzintia 'poblar cibdad o lugar'. 'to found a city' 'to start a
city'  <ni-a:tl1-tepe:tl-tzi:ntli-v04-caus04>   = 'to cause a city to
have a beginning'

moamahtlapaltia 'echar ojas los arboles' 71m1, 71m2
<mo-a:matl-ahtlapalli-v04-caus08>    = 'for a tree to leaf out, for a
tree to cause itself to have "wings"'.

nitlaayotia 'aguar algo; aguar el vino; etc.' 55m
<ni-tla-a:tl1-yoa:-l2-v04-caus08> ' = 'I cause something to have
watery-ness'

COMPARE THE V01a for a:tl with a verber:
nicatilia ‘I melt it’. <ni-c-a:tl-v01a-caus04>   = ‘I cause it to BE /
BE LIKE water.
This is v01a and it takes a different causative.

ninocaltia 'edificar para si; edificar edificio para si'
<ni-mo-calli-v04-caus08>   = I cause myself to have a house'

nitecaltia 'edificar casa a otro' <ni-te-calli-v04-caus08>    = 'I
cause someone to have a house.

ninochimaltia 'escudarse'  <ni-mo-chimalli-v04-caus08> = 'I cause
myself to have a shield'

     Sometimes we see a second object. For the moment at least, these
are puzzling because there is another object with no additional verbal
morphology, but the meanings seem to work the same, and Molina has some
variation in the number of objects with the same meanings e.g. both
ninotahtia and nicnotahtia ‘tomar a otro por padre’  = ‘to cause myself
to have a father.

nicnaxcatia 'apropriar para si' 71m1, 'aplicar, o apropriar para si
alguna cosa' 71m2, 'apropriar hazer proprio' 55m
<ni-c-mo-a:xca:itl-v04-caus08>. = 'I cause myself to have a possession'

niteaxcatia 'dotar hija a otra persona; dotar; enagenar'
<ni-te-a:xca:itl-v04-caus08>  =  ‘I cause someone to have a possession.

     Best,
        Mary