Words for home

Harley Dunolly-Lee harley_lee123 at msn.com
Sat Jun 20 21:58:39 UTC 2020

Hello wurrung balak (language peoples)

I am working on words for home in Dja Dja Wurrung, my language. Me and a couple of other Dja Dja Wurrung speakers are gonna put labels around the house. I am currently organizing a project that requires me and another Dja Dja Wurrung person to only speak language or code switch. This is drawn from elements of the master-apprentice program but tweaked for our current situation (no fluent speakers).

My older sister had a baby as well, so the main reason is to speak it as much as we can around baby.

I have done the following through basic semantic extension - which a community member suggest I do instead of complex morphology. We gotta work with a first stage. This way we are teaching the community about country.

Woyimba - heat (from fire) - oven
Munmut - cold - fridge
Mumwil - couch - (mum 'bum', -wil 'having')
Mumbil - chair - (mum 'bum', -pil 'having')
Gapang - ice, frost - freezer, esky

These are subjected to change and variation, as one community member wants to use the word for ground oven or hot, heat (weather).

I am wanting to know what have other communities (under awakening or fluently spoken) have done in this situation just to get an idea to help with the elaboration and direction.