Theses in reawakening languages

Jane Simpson jansimps at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 08:48:21 UTC 2020

Zhong, Xueqing Yarjis [Norah]. 2019. Rescuing a Language from Extinction:
Documentation and Practical Steps for the Revitalisation of (Western) Yugur
Linguistics, Australian National University: PhD.

https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/173110    This
contains a subset of a dictionary and an explanation of the process of
creating a trilingual dictionary as part of the thesis.

A model is the creative works PhD - where part of the thesis is a creative
work, and part of it is an explanation ('exegesis') of the work.

Margaet Carew's thesis is an example of this
https://bridges.monash.edu/articles/Gun-ngaypa_Rrawa_My_Country_intercultural_alliances_in_language_research/4720891

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:29 PM Sally Dixon <Sally.Dixon at une.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I’m looking for PhD/MA theses that centre on the description of
> reawakening or endangered languages. In particular, I’m hoping to find
> precedents for including dictionaries or translated text corpora as part of
> the PhD itself. I know there has been advocacy in the Language
> Documentation community for some time to have these seen as research
> outputs, but I’m trying to find out if this has been extended to those
> materials being qualifying for a PhD thesis. If there are any that come to
> mind, from Australia or globally, would you mind letting me know?
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Sally Dixon

Jane Simpson
Private e-mail