Please can anyone help with puzzling Slavic words

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Mar 31 14:51:38 UTC 2003

Mr. Stapleton,

>Please can anyone assist me with a few puzzling Slavic folksong titles.
>They were obtained from a nineteenth-century Czech source that I'm working
>on. The source may not be quite accurate in grammar or spelling. I've
>scoured various dictionaries and consulted various speakers and have come
>to a dead end!
>
>The problems are (given in Latin 2 font, followed by Latin 1 description):
>
>Described as Russian, given by the Czech source as:
>     'Oj nechody Hr=FDcu'
>
>      'Oj nechody Hr-[long y]-cu'

Oj, ne xody, Hrycju...  (according to International Academic standard
of transliteration)
Oi, ne khody, Hrytsiu  (according to Library of Congress standard of
transliteration)

is NOT a Russian folksong, but a Ukrainian one.

Hryc' (Hryts') is the diminutive form of the name Hryhorij.

If you need more information, I can write offline.

Regards,
N. Pylypiuk

        http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp

       http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukraina/Homepage.html