Please can anyone help with puzzling Slavic words

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Mar 31 15:40:20 UTC 2003

Natalia Pylypiuk wrote:

> Oj, ne xody, Hrycju...  (according to International Academic standard
> of transliteration)
> Oi, ne khody, Hrytsiu  (according to Library of Congress standard of
> transliteration)
>
> is NOT a Russian folksong, but a Ukrainian one.

        True enough, but I suspect that the Czech original described it as an
East Slavic song and there was a "slight" change in translation (traduttore,
tradittore). I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that, for
example, Ludvik Kuba's 15-volume _Slovanstvo v svych zpevech_ has a volume
called _Pisni ruske_, which has sections on "velkoruske," "maloruske" and
"biloruske" songs.  (My apologies to any Bohemists on the list for violence
done here to Czech spelling, and my assurances to pani Natalia that I'm not a
Great Russian chauvinist proposing a return to old terminology.)

    Bob Rothstein

P.S. Some of us older SEELANGers probably remember the Jack Lawrence tune "Yes,
My Darling Daughter," which was set to the melody of "Oi, ne khody, Hrytsiu"
and was the first song recorded by Dinah Shore.