Texts on Avtorskaya Pesnya, Romansy

Rachel Platonov slayman at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Feb 5 20:30:14 UTC 2004

Dear Charles,

        As you suspect, the texts on avtorskaia pesnia in English are
somewhat limited. G. S. Smith's _Songs to Seven Strings_ (Indiana UP,
1984) is, so far as I know, the only book-length study of the genre in
English. In Russian, the choices are much broader, and include the
following general surveys:
        V. I. Novikov and E. N. Basovskaia, _Avtorskaia pesnia_ (Olimp, 2000)
                - this is designed as a secondary school textbook; it includes
a short introductory article on the genre, followed by chapters on major
bards (biography, some analysis, some song lyrics);
        Boris Savchenko, "Avtorskaia pesnia" (_Iskusstvo_, vol. 7, 1987)

        I am writing my dissertation on avtorskaia pesnia, and so I have
compiled a fairly extensive bibliography on the genre. Please feel free
to contact me offline (slayman at fas.harvard.edu) if I can be of help.

        Best,
        - Rachel Platonov