Father Sergius and August study-abroad

Romy Taylor romy at PETUHOV.COM
Fri Feb 13 20:51:03 UTC 2004

Dear Seelangers!

One of my students wants to write a paper on the 3 Mary's in Tolstoy's "Father
Sergius."  She's looking for a connection between the religious holidays
mentioned -- Intercession of the Blessed Virgin (2x), mid-Pentecostal feast,
Carnival and Lent, and Mary.  Several of Sergius' crises happen in May, and she
tells me that May is "Mary's month" in the Catholic tradition.  (In the
Orthodox tradition as well?)  Perhaps there's also a connection to Pashenka =
Praskov'ia (the folk saint Paraskeva Piatnica)?

And, another student is looking for a short (3-week) study abroad program in
August, or as late in the summer as possible.  All the brochures I've looked
through have beginning dates in May, June or July...

Very gratefully yours,
Romy Taylor

Visiting Assistant Professor
Dept. of German & Russian