a question about Dostoevsky and prisons

Sasha Spektor xrenovo at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 16 18:21:31 UTC 2012

1.  Alina is right -- it's not in the Diary (I just word searched "тюр").
2.  That's a pretty big summary, if you ask me.  There's a passage in The
Dead House about corporal punishment that is kind of close to the one in
question, but it's very specific.  The phrase has been attributed among
others to Truman and Ghandi, but I haven't been able to find a direct
source.

Thank you to those who responded.
Sasha.