misquotations

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Sun Dec 16 23:23:11 UTC 2012

Here are some sites and a book ....  a start on Jules's grand
enterprise, which I totally support:

http://anateixeira.hubpages.com/hub/Famous-quotes-or-maybe-not

http://bytwerk.com/gpa/falsenaziquotations.htm

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/quotations/quotes-falsely-attributed
('cause we've all been mis-attributing stuff to Churchill -- is this
maybe more relevant on the other side of the pond?

Ralph Keyes. *Nice guys finish seventh: False phrases, spurious
sayings, and familiar misquotations.* Harper Collins 1992

Merry holidays,
-FR

> Someone should compile a dictionary of faux classic quotes.
> Shakespeare never said "gilding the lily"--it is a blend of a longer
>doublet, yet it seems like an attempt to improve Will's "paint the
>lily' by repeating the short 'i' sound--how's that for Chutzpah?.
> Jules Levin
>                             "Don't believe everything you read on
>the Internet." --Abraham Lincoln

>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
>at:

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Wheaton College