What's the best way to prepare endnotes for publication?

Tue Jul 22 19:55:10 UTC 2014

Andrea Gregovich wrote:

> Greetings Colleagues,
>
> I am preparing endnotes for a novel I translated that is heavy with
> details from Soviet culture. I started working on them in a .doc file,
> but then it occurred to me that my page numbers would be off that way
> because, конечно, the page layout will change in the transition from
> word .doc manuscript to bound book. This is a fairly new publisher whose
> previous books have been novels not in translation, so I don't think
> they've thought of this issue yet either. We're set on endnotes rather
> than footnotes because the writing is very minimalist and we don't want
> to clutter the pages with distractions.
>
> I see that there is Endnote software available, but I can't tell if that
> would really suit my purposes here. Plus, we're on a shoestring budget
> and I'd like to avoid personally buying software if possible. What have
> you all done in the past in preparing Endnotes?

If you're working with MS Word, it's a simple option to tell it to use
endnotes instead of footnotes, and there's also a feature that converts
all footnotes to endnotes and vice versa. The details vary from version
to version, but for example in Word 2003 it's Insert | Footnote... and
at the bottom of the dialog, "Apply changes to: Whole document."

As for page numbers being off, that's really the publisher's job; yours
is just to verify that they didn't botch it when you look at the galleys.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com