ASEEES 2014: Looking for third panel participant

Colleen Lucey clucey at WISC.EDU
Sun Mar 30 18:26:12 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGers,

We are looking for a third presenter on our panel, "Women in Visual Culture: Courtesans, Self-fashioning, and the Exotic," which has been accepted to the 2014 ASEEES Convention in San Antonio, Texas.

The panel explores the representation of gender and sexuality in visual and popular culture. Topics may include, but not be limited to: artistic depictions of eros; representations of sexuality that focus on performance, display, and specularity; discourses on sexual norms and deviance; commodity fetishism and the body.

Currently we have one paper examining the depiction of courtesans in nineteenth-century lithography and another panelist studying the image of women in Soviet advertisements.

If interested, please contact me off-list at clucey at wisc.edu.

Best wishes,

Colleen Lucey
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literature
UW-Madison