Quapaw Language Question

Scott Collins saponi360 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 02:56:07 UTC 2010

This was a phrase that was remembered by my Great Aunt's daughter from my Great Grandmother. Supposedly, she and her siblings spoken fluent Cherokee, however I can not seem to find any word in Cherokee that matches this phrase. I was told that there is a phrase in Tutelo-Saponi, "oka hoc ne de wa ha." I was told this phrase meant something similar to all my relatives. This phrase was remembered as part of a bedtime prayer, however my relative that remembers our Great Grandmother saying this didn't remember its meaning. Since I have been studying the Tutelo-Saponi language I can't say that I have ever come across this particular phrase. There was talk in the family that our Great Grandmother's mother was part Quapaw and Osage, therefore since I have not found this particular phrase in either Cherokee or Tutelo-Saponi I am trying to figure out what language it may have been. Some one had suggested that it may perhaps be Algonquin for enemy. I am
 guessing like the word Nottoway. I just wish someone would have bothered to tape my Great Grandmother before she passed on so that we would have a better idea of the language they were speaking.