SignBank Menus in Chinese, Japanese, Arabic...

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Tue Sep 10 15:06:08 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> In the case of Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and other written forms that
> do not use the Roman Alphabet, I suggest that I create SignBank Menus
> that are "graphics" and not "text". That way, we are not dependent on
> people's operating systems.

        I'm no expert in software localization, but isn't it better to
have the menus in text?  After all, anyone who knows enough Chinese,
Japanese or Arabic is likely to have a Chinese, Japanese or Arabic version
of Windows (or Java, or FileMaker).  Perhaps there are programming tools
that will allow Wayne, Mark, Mohamed and other volunteers to create the
menus using their operating systems and then have them incorporated into
SignBank?

--
                                        -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                        Linguistics Department