Need your advice...which compression should I use?

Sun May 11 20:32:41 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
May 11, 2003

Thanks, Bill, for this comment...

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, Bill Reese wrote:
> Which brings us around to why you need to recompress your files since
> they were in ZIP format anyways.  Newer ZIP utilities should have no
> trouble handling the older ZIPped archives.

I got a complaint from a person who had downloaded one of our TrueType
fonts on this web page:

SUTTON FINGERSPELLING FONTS
http://www.signwriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

The complaint was several months ago, and in my confusion I have
actually mis-placed the email, which I will hopefully find today...it
was regarding a Mac person who claimed that he had never had any
problems with downloading Mac compression before but he had with mine...

Way back in time...several years ago...I had another bad experience
with old compression software...the old PKZIP program from the DOS era
was used to compress our SignWriter DOS program at that time...and
through experience I found out that I had to re-zip SignWriter DOS in
the Windows version of PKZIP...or there were serious consequences - the
files were actually damaged in Windows platforms - but that was a long
time ago and I did remedy that problem...I tell this story only to
explain why I believed the complaint from the Mac person - because I
had had bad experiences with old compression software before, under
totally different circumstances...