Happy Birthday song

Sun Feb 8 15:24:31 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
February 8, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> I show three different variations of the same "happy birthday to
> you" ..SW is a wonderful tool to discuss the differences ....Stefan
> :-)

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!
Thank you for your birthday song....Great to hear from you....What does
the German Sign Language song look like? I am interested...smile...If
someone on the List knows ASL....please help Stefan...If you could
write the Happy Birthday song for him in ASL grammar I would love it! I
would like to learn it myself - smile...

Although I wish I was fluent in ASL, I am afraid my signing is called
PSE, which stands for "Pidgen-Sign-English" which is a term that means
a language that is not pure ASL, but is blended with English...That is
why I only write ASL from videotape. That way we know we are capturing
the true ASL language....and we do have some lovely poems in ASL on
video that we could write together on the List, if you would like...

Meanwhile, regarding HAPPY BIRTHDAY....Darline Clark Gunsauls, who is a
Deaf native ASL signer....signed and wrote this card for me, in
ASL...years ago...Please see the attached card...I believe you were
trying to write this, Stefan, in your first sentence? The sign does not
touch the shoulder. It touches the chin, as you can see in the attached
diagram...like the sign for PREFER....then it goes down to the
chest.....But it is a dialect of ASL that not everyone knows...I
suspect there are quite a lot of regional signs...depending on where
you live in the US or Canada...Darline was raised in a Deaf-residential
school in Fulton, Missouri. Missouri is a state in the middle of the
US...and I bet there are more signs for BIRTHDAY in ASL too...