Spam: NORWAY: Grace - salvation

Fri Feb 27 16:28:34 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
February 27, 2004

Ingvild Roald in Norway wrote:
> I thought it might interest you to see the Norwgian sign for christian
> salvation - and how it is derived. The ASL sign for 'safe' or 'save'
> seems more like our 'prisoner', 'bondage', etc. The Norwegian word for
> 'salvation' is 'frelse' which derives from 'free neck', and the sign
> for dendancy is the same as for a slave - to be held by the nck (sorry
> I did not write that sign too) Ingvild

Dear SW List, and Ingvild!
Thank you for these Norwegian signs. Interesting to see the differences
between Norwegian and American Sign Languages!

As soon as I finish some work on Greek Sign Language, Norway is next on
my list of 'things to do". I will be adding some Norwegian signs to
SignBank, and then posting it for you to download...May I ask...Do you
want me to add these signs you just posted into SignBank NO?