Rotations

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Sat Jun 5 09:10:12 UTC 2004

Hello Valerie, hello Bart and Steven, hello SignWriting list!

Bart Braem wrote:

> One other thing we would like to ask: please make all symbols turn in
> the same direction, so all counter-clockwise for example. Currently
> some
> symbols do turn the other way round and that's pretty irritating when
> programming: if you want to display a mirrored or rotated symbol you
> always need to check the category. When you just specify one rotation
> programmers can always be confident that when the format reads
> "turn 45 degrees" it will always be the same direction.

I am not sure that I understand you. Are you telling, that there were
some "weird" symbols rotating the other way round? I didn't find any
symbols in any category rotating differently than the other symbols in
the same category except for symmetry. My brother did a lot of detail
work when we configured the symbolset together. So I have to ask him
whether he discovered something strange that I might have overlooked.

Perhaps we are talking about different things:

1. About the ordering of rotations whithin the Sign Symbol Sequence, or
2. the rotation code within the files or
3. the exact behaviour of the rotation key?

I don't know. I am going to try explain my view about point 3 and what
I have discovered so far. Let's start with an example: the Index Finger
of both hands pointing forward and then both hands turned 45 degrees
outward: