Searching SignWriting Signs demo

Tue Mar 23 18:46:03 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 23, 2004

Steven Aerts wrote:
> as most you know we are busy developing an online dictionary.  A
> special part
> of our effort has been put into making signwriging signs searchable.
> We would like to ask you wether you could share your experiences in
> the usage
> of the system.  Does the "searching on signs" return what you are
> looking for
> and are the results properly ordered according to their relevance?

Dear SW List, and Steven in Belgium!
Thanks for this message, and for your dictionary database...I know
several people who are using it and really like it...

Regarding the new ...Search For Signs... feature...I am trying it
now...I have a few questions about the Dutch and English
translations...I wish I knew more Dutch! Regarding this line:

Aanrakingen
Selecteer de aanrakingen die met het te zoeken gebaar overeen komen:

Does this mean?

1. Contacts
Select the Contact Symbols associated with the gesture you are
searching for...

or does it mean...

2. Location
Select the location, or area of the body, that is being contacted...

See in the attached diagram...I clicked on the hands and they turned
red...I assumed that would give me SignWriting handshapes...but instead
it has something to do with location or contact?

I am sure it will work fine, once I get the hang of it...

Look forward to your help -