email lessons

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 21 21:47:16 UTC 2005

Yes, this is mouthing. The Euroean sign languages tend to use mouthing when
they loan (import) from the majority spoken languages - and at least in NTS
(Nowegian SL), fingerspelling is not used much. In ASl, as I understand it,
fingerspelling is the preffered mode of loaning from English. We may use
mouthing also in signs that are not loans, then the mouthing will look like
no real Norwegian word, or at least not the word that would be a translation
for the sign. These mouthings are still not the spesific facial expressions
used as adverbials or adjectives or the like in the true NTS, they are
'invented loans' or something like that (this means that you can find this
mouthing only with this sign, not used more generally). There has been a
master thesis done on the spesific facial expressions of NTS, and also on
some of the 'invented loans'. I think in NISL these things would be called
multi-modal signs.

Ingvild