TAIWAN Sign Language Dictionary Online

Thu Aug 4 16:30:11 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 4, 2005

Message from Hope Hurlbut, August 4, 2005
> I took a look at the site for Taiwan SIgn Language that you
> supplied. My Chinese is not good enough to put in the romanized
> Chinese, especially as my dictionary is far away (in Malaysia)!!
> I already have two files (one full, the other almost full) of the
> forms in Taiwan Sign Language that I have input so far.  Can I
> transfer or copy these files to SignPuddle?
> I give each word the corresponding number to my original word list,
> then the ENglish gloss, then all the different forms that are in
> the dictionary (up to 10 or 12 per ENglish gloss). Some of the Deaf
> gave me up to 3 alternate signs for one word in Chinese.
> Can I also transfer the existing dictionary into SIgnPuddle?
> I forgot to bring any of my SignWriter materials with me Canada, so
> I have no resources here!  I had to make up my own charts before I
> started to do the inputting a couple of weeks ago.  It is not easy
> to remember which alphabetic or numeric key contains which symbol,
> so I had to go through them one by one, and write them down for
> reference!

--------------------------------

Hello Hope!
Thanks for this message. You mention two files above. What computer
program are the two files written in? Are they SignWriter DOS files?
SignWriter Java files? I need to know what the format is for the
files. Can you send the two files to me, attached to an email message?

Although I am pretty sure you cannot automatically transfer the
dictionary into SignPuddle, I believe I could convert all the signs
into PNGs with another program, if your dictionary is in SignWriter
DOS...and then we might be able to put them into SignPuddle for
you...so at least you do not have to re-enter all those signs..it
would be nice to have some signs in the Taiwan SignPuddle!

Taiwan SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-TW

So please write again to tell me what program you are using...

Plus, you could try to add the new signs into SignPuddle...when you
feel ready, I will be glad to teach you how to do that...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages