AW: [sw-l] in-between

Fri Aug 19 19:39:50 UTC 2005

Ha Valerie – I do not agree – smile –

„So Nana's name sign could be written with two brushes and no arrows,...”

well – I bet that this is possible ( smile) but brush needs an arrow because
otherwise you are not informed – brush yes – ok. but what direction? down,
forward, up ...

You agree ?

Stefan ;-))

  _____

Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Freitag, 19. August 2005 19:34
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] in-between

SignWriting List

August 19, 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

>From the video, the movement itself goes into the armpit three times.

That would be in-between 3 times to me.

I wasn't able to see the video...It was in a format I am not setup for at
the moment...

But regarding writing so many symbols....that is a lot of detail for
everyday use...I really think a simpler spelling should be found for the
sign for SCHOOL, which is a commonly written sign...I would think one
in-between would be enough for reading the sign quickly for those who
already know the sign...

I personally only use the double-inbetweens when there are no other movement
symbols involved...imagine if you wanted to show inbetween-inbetween but
with no other movement arrow...then the doubles are useful...but when you
have movement arrows involved anyway, one inbetween is enough for reading
for everyday use...because the double arrows take care of the double
movement, and it is assumed that both movements come from an in-between...

Same thing for double brushes, versus single brushes...like with Nana's name
sign...why write two brush symbols and two arrows, when one brush with two
arrows still gives the same information? So Nana's name sign could be
written with two brushes and no arrows, or one brush and two arrows, but why
two brushes and two arrows?...That is too much information for a sign that
you write everyday at the end of letters written by hand to friends! It gets
discouraging to write by hand, with so much detail... (see number 2 in the
attached)...It is not that either is wrong, it is just a hope that we can
simplify spellings a little....