Surface symbols

Gallant, Philippe PGallant at MERCYDESMOINES.ORG
Thu Dec 15 16:16:06 UTC 2005

Val,

I did ask someone here and we never see the second variation (going
down).

Philippe "Philip" Gallant
Cultural Advocacy Health Services Coordinator
Mercy Medical Center
Interpretation Services Department
           VOICE:  (866) 410-5787 ext. 73013
               TTY:  (515) 643-SIGN (7446)
               FAX:  (515) 643-2859
VIDEOPHONE:  pgallant.mercydesmoines.org

________________________________

From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:00 AM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Surface symbols

SignWriting List

December 15, 2005

	Philippe in Iowa, USA, wrote:

	I noticed the arrow seems not right since I dont move my hand
down for English. I move my hand toward to myself. The first English
spelling with correct arrow symbol is correct. Make sense?

Hi Philip!

Great to get your feedback. Yes. You agree with our Deaf DAC
members...they wrote the first two signs in the attached diagram...the
second sign is another variation...it shows the right hand moving down
twice onto the left hand...I have seen that variation in some parts of
the US...but you are right that the first one seems to be the most
commonly used...moving back towards the chest

Cherie comes from Georgia...maybe in Georgia they move down with both
hands? smile...There are different ways that signs are signed...but
usually one writing starts to become the standard way to write the
sign...For right now, we are writing different variations and placing
them in the SignPuddle...that way we can discuss the different
variations easily on the SignWriting List...

Have you ever seen the second variation?