Surface symbols

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Thu Dec 15 18:26:53 UTC 2005

We use several different variations here...  the top 'open C' hand moving
down twice onto the lower flat hand, the single pull pack with both hands
moving together: both  are used, but more common is sort of a double
shake...  I had to sign it several times to figure out that it actually
moves down and =forward= a little.  Would I use the diagonal plane symbols
for that, or not because it could be understood without them? Val. I like
your variation.  I can see both handshapes clearly.  If the grasp symbol
is used, you wouldn't need the surface symbol, right?  The 'old' spellings
had the grasp symbol, but they had the two handshapes overlapping...
that's why I thought the surface symbol might be better in that instance.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
12/15/2005 10:59 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] Surface symbols

SignWriting List
December 15, 2005

Philippe in Iowa, USA, wrote:
I noticed the arrow seems not right since I don?t move my hand down for
English.  I move my hand toward to myself.  The first English spelling
with correct arrow symbol is correct.  Make sense?

Hi Philip!
Great to get your feedback. Yes. You agree with our Deaf DAC
members...they wrote the first two signs in the attached diagram...the
second sign is another variation...it shows the right hand moving down
twice onto the left hand...I have seen that variation in some parts of the
US...but you are right that the first one seems to be the most commonly
used...moving back towards the chest

Cherie comes from Georgia...maybe in Georgia they move down with both
hands? smile...There are different ways that signs are signed...but
usually one writing starts to become the standard way to write the
sign...For right now, we are writing different variations and placing them
in the SignPuddle...that way we can discuss the different variations
easily on the SignWriting List...

Have you ever seen the second variation?