challenge for programmers

Mon Jun 27 12:54:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 27, 2005

> On Jun 27, 2005, at 2:03 AM, Sandy Fleming wrote:
> No, this happens because Firefox support for SVG is incomplete -
> although it's on its way, as you can see from the results you got.

I thought I was using Safari on the Macintosh, or maybe Firefox...I
believe I tried it on several...but not IE...you are right about
that. IE is not very good on a Macintosh, in my opinion, although
many do use it...

> What you see should be very colourful and perfect! You would need
> to use IE with the Adobe SVG (or similar) plugin, as I explained:
>
> 1. Download the Adobe SVG viewer plugin from http://www.adobe.com/svg/

I did that exactly! I downloaded the SVG plugin for the Macintosh...

> 2. Open Internet Explorer, Netscape or Mozilla browser (not Firefox)
> 3. Enter the URL of the SVG file to be viewed: http://bsltext.org/
> easter/happyeaster.svg

I did that exactly!

> 4. Note the remarkable high quality of the graphics  :)

It looked exactly as I showed you in the screen capture...not that
good. But you are right that I have seen SVG before and it is
excellent graphics when it works!

> 5. Use your mouse right-click to get a context menu and play with
> some of the functionality.

Right-click is a Windows thing, but on the Macintosh the keystrokes
are Control-Click...just for your information! But I did that exactly
as you had said before, and it did move the SVG around...

> 6. If you're a programmer, read the source file to see how it was
> done.

I am not a programmer and although I can read sources, I hate them! I
leave that to you and other programmers!

> To my mind, this is a really good way of doing high-quality Web
> graphics with SignWriting. The SignWriting comes under CSS
> stylesheet control, can be transformed using XSLT, could be
> animated, and the method can be adapted for use with such popular
> plugins as Macromedia Flash. I originally did this to explore the
> possibility of presenting better quality graphics on my bsltext
> website - I now know it can be done, it's just a matter of finding
> the time and money  :)

Yes. I agree with you. I love the SVG that I have seen in Flash. The
Mac world is very big on using Flash. Maybe that is what we need, or
something...The Mac is also big on good graphics, so I am sure there
is something I do not know about SVG that gave me a different
experience...so don't blame the machine - blame my lack of knowledge!