[sw-l] Adding Classifiers to SignPuddle Dictionaries

Nancy Emery nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Mar 15 22:26:22 UTC 2005

I think it would be good to have classifier handshapes in a dictionary to
acknowledge that they are an important part of the language, and to help
learners see which handshapes are used for what.

But for actually using them - since the location, movement and orientation
have to be added anyway, since they depend on what is being said with the
classifier, I'm not sure that it would be much more helpful to take the
handshape from the dictionary than just to compose the sign from scratch....
It's just that in certain texts some classifier constructions are used over
and over, and it is nice to be able to cut, paste and modify rather than
rebuild the whole thing.  But I don't know that dictionary signs can be
modified by the user anyway...

Is there a way to use the signpuddle style "drag and drop" method for
productive (off the cuff) classifier constructions like showing a car
zig-zag uphill, and save it to a document, without going through a
dictionary?  I'd been assuming we needed the word-processing programs like
SW-DOS or SW Java for that.

>From what you said about Ingvild's story, Val, where you could easily tell
the cat from the dog by the consistent handshape, those sound like
classifier constructions.  I'm guessing she couldn't just pull them out of a
dictionary, but had to put the movement together with the handshpae each
time?

Nancy