POLAND... Antarktyda again, plus 10 hand issues...

Fri Sep 9 21:04:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 9, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> I finally managed to copy the pic of the Antarktyda sign into my
> notebook (I had to install additional software, I don't know why!).
> The shot shows the hands at the beginning of the movement. And now,
> compare it with my new writing attempt.

Hello Lucyna and Charles -
Thank you for the photo. That helps a lot. In your original word
description, Lucyna, you said that the hands then move back. Do you
really mean that? I believe you mean forward, don't you? If they move
back, then they would finish touching your throat or shoulders?

Now, in regards to the palm facing, Charles, actually there will be
no break in either handshape, since both are parallel with the wall
plane. Nothing is parallel to the floor that I can see...

I would suggest waiting on this sign until I can standardize the use
of the 10 hand symbol in the IMWA...it is creating problems in the
computer program ID numbers and I am concerned about it...so let's
wait until I get the 10 hand in the IMWA resolved...There was a
reason, why I did not jump and change that symbol - the 10 hand is
used in headers, representing a whole group of symbols...the 10 hand
group...and so I am trying to make it possible to fix the symbol
without all of us being required to re-enter all signs that use that
symbol in SignPuddle...The change is also creating problems in the
SignBank program, when we print the headers for handshapes in
dictionaries sorted by sss...so we may have to re-do every sign that
uses that handshape, and if so, then let's wait on writing this one!
I hope to resolve it soon...Val ;-)