facial expressions

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 8 21:00:16 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 8, 2006

>> you can be assured that facial expressions are very important to us
>> all over Europe.
>>
>> Its just that many non-deaf professionals have failed to put the
>> stress on the facial expressions - that 80% of the language is in
>> your
>> face - and I am glad youre one of the few non-deaf professionals who
>> realises how important the facial expressions are to one's signed
>> language :-)
>>
>> Shane

Hello Shane, Stefan, Ingvild, everyone!

Thank you for these comments. 80 percent on the face? wow...that is
really a lot isn't it? I didn't know that statistic but it makes sense..

Did you know that I started writing facial expressions first, before
handshapes?...later I found out that most people wanted handshapes
first, so I placed them first in the IMWA but originally I had
planned to place Facial Expressions before handshapes in the IMWA
because they seemed more important to me...

Yes Facial Expressions are very important to all Sign Languages of
Northern Europe and everywhere...That is why it is so great that you
are starting to use SignWriting in your country now, so that Deaf
people can start writing their own documents, including the Facial
Expressions that they feel are important. Darline, an ASL Deaf
native, chose to write different facial expressions than some
linguists would have chosen...that was my point.. that when Deaf
people start writing their own language, they can pin down what is
important and what is not...

And I don't want to speak for any of you...let me just tell you a
side story...

When I went to the NAD Conference recently I was nervous...and my
friends helped me feel brave again. Why was I nervous? Because I was
afraid my ASL has a hearing accent and I wanted so much to represent
SignWriting from the Deaf perspective...which I simply cannot because
I was born hearing...but deep underneath I am the Deaf people's
biggest friend...some may not realize that...and I know that...that
is why I am so grateful to Stuart, Philippe and Adam for representing
all of us at the NAD... and Shane...you would have loved it! I felt
so loved when I arrived there...and there were no problems and my
fear was not necessary! And I embraced old Deaf friends and I felt
really accepted and appreciated...

This was such a positive experience at the NAD that I feel that, with
the leaders of the Deaf Community working with hearing people like
myself, as a team, we really can accomplish something...

smile...

But guess what? Your work in Europe in Summer 2005 had an influence
on our acceptance at the NAD Conference!

There are several stories about that, but here is one connected with
Facial Expressions:

At the NAD I went to different Exhibit booths, and I stopped at one
for parents of Deaf children who use American Sign Language. The
teacher at the booth was Deaf . I found out later from Adam, that she
is well known in the Deaf Education profession.

I started to tell her about SignWriting, assuming she did not know
about it, only to find that she stopped me immediately, and she said
in ASL....

"OH. I know SignWriting!" with a big grin! I said "Really"...How?"
did you find it on the internet?" I asked.

"Oh no!" she said "I personally saw a keynote presentation by a
teacher in Germany at the Maastricht Conference for Deaf Education in
2005, and I was stunned at the success with the Deaf children in the
German teacher's video presentation"...

So I explained that I knew Stefan and yes...that is an amazing
presentation...and she said in ASL to me "Oh. It was more than just
an amazing presentation. It changed my mind about SignWriting because
I could see that it could be used in different classroom settings in
different ways!"..."and, she said, the facial expressions can be used
in different ways for storytelling, or for education, and that is
what really impressed me!"... (I felt so proud to know you, Stefan!!)

So we started to talk about the importance of writing Facial
Expressions! Thank you, Stefan, for giving me such a positive
experience!

She then this Deaf professor invited us to write an article for her
Deaf Teacher's publication here in the US...so I had planned to tell
you all about this later. So Summer 2005 in Europe is having a
positive effect on Summer 2006 in the US!

Thanks again for your comments -

Val ;-)