SignWriting Terminology

Tue Mar 21 23:54:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 21, 2006

Ingvild Roald in Norway wrote:
> An alphabet is not just an ordered set of symbols - first, it the
> set of these symbols, called  letters. These are used for writing a
> language. The ordering is a secondary thing.

Hello Ingvild!
Thanks for this thoughtful message...Hope things are going well for
you in Norway!

Yes, I call the letters...sign-symbols...

and the ordering of the sign-symbols in general (the
01-01-001-01-01-01 that you see in programs) is called the Sign-
Symbol-Sequence...the Sign-Symbols are listed in a specific
order...so that is equivalent to Alphabetical Order in the Roman
Alphabet...

Ha! no matter what, I hope everyone keeps writing signs and enjoying
it...

On to more important things...

I will write a report to the List about all that is happening around
here, as soon as possible...

Many blessings!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting