What would my name look like in SignWriting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 7 11:51:31 UTC 2007

Gerard, there are several options here.

One is your "name".

In English your name is Gerard.  That could be fingerspelled, which is simply transliteration into the ASL manual alphabet.

The second is a Deaf cultural name, which is quite different.  This is iconic.  My name is Charles, my iconic sign name is the sign for Crazy with a C next to my head.  A person may wear thick glasses, so their name sign could be an initalized mime of glasses, another may have long hair, and so paired initials of off both sides of their hair.  The "name sign" is very much a "cultural name" not "my name in sign writing"

    (Charles)

Any part of word [input] Start of word [input] Exact word
Search  Carmen Miranda

GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote: Hoi,
I have been thinking, I am championing the good cause of SignWriting on Facebook. It would be good to show my interest and dedication in another way as well. What I came up with was is that if someone can send me in SignWriting my first name, I could make that the picture that I can be associated with. Currently I use a picture that I made of a wild boar from really up close, nobody knows why I use this one .. :) and with my name in SignWriting I will have a good explanation to give :)

Thanks,
     Gerard

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help