Inquiry from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia!!

Eyasu Tamene eyasuh at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 9 12:20:10 UTC 2007

  Dearest Val, Shane and Rodrigo,

  Many thanks for your sinceare feedback and appreciation.  The sites you suggested are very much helpful.

  I can understand from the everyday list messages that there are researchers and teachers of the deaf whom I would like to suggest me relevant ideas that should be included in our new SL BA program syllabus development. I like the idea of SW be part of this program. The question of HOW worries me.  Please get me your honorable suggestion, smile.

  Eyasu

Valerie Sutton <dac at signwriting.org> wrote:
    SignWriting List
September 8, 2007

Dear Eyasu and SW List Members!

Congratulations, Eyasu, on your new job. It is exciting to think that
your Department of Linguistics will be planning a BA degree program
for Ethiopian Sign Languages and Deaf Cultures...I can imagine it
must be a complicated project to be in touch with Deaf people in such
a vast country with so many languages...

So of course, we will do whatever we can to assist...

SignWriting materials can be donated to your teachers, but you need
more than just SignWriting...

Does anyone on the List know how to setup a Sign Language
curriculum...a four-year program? Who should Eyasu speak with, in the
US, or in Germany, or in Brazil, for example? We needs contacts and
some specific suggestions and advice for a Sign Language curriculum
strategy...

Perhaps it is time that SignWriting be a part of any Sign Language
curriculum...not as a separate subject, but an integral one with
teaching Sign Language...

I hope someone will answer, as I do not know any contacts for Eyasu
about Sign Language curriculum development...

Val ;-)

-----------

  Jambo Eyasu!

congrats on setting up the new degree - that is much needed in Eastern
Africa and I am very delighted to hear the news.

As for the BA Sign Language Studies...

University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN) in England will start their
BA (Hons) in British Sign Language this October - you can get in touch
with them.

There's a university in Brazil that have started teaching the degree
in LIBRAS - its very interesting - some of the researchers/teachers
there are on this list - they will help you out in this.

There are other universities elsewhere but I dont have it off my head
right now.

Shane Mwangi

  Dear Eyasu,
congratulations and I wish success on your job.

There is a university in Brazil called Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC). They started a program like that some years ago, which has been the first one in the country. You can get in touch with them by the e-mail: libras at ead.ufsc.br
It is a public university from the federal government, so I think the will be glad to help your university with its efforts.

There is also another institution you could try, which is the National Institute of Education of the Deaf (INES), try the e-mail: webmaster at ines.org.br
Since it is also a federal institution, part of the Ministry of Education, I think they can help too.

At last, if for any reason you don't receive any answer from them, you can try this: http://www.mre.gov.br/ingles/index.htm
In your message you could cite UFSC and INES.

I don't know why nobody mentioned it. Maybe I am wrong but I think that the Gallaudet University ( http://www.gallaudet.edu/) in the USA can also provide some useful information.

I hope they can help you.

Regards
--