training of typing interpreters

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Feb 11 03:01:32 UTC 2008

Hi! In my experience, US interpreters and transliterators typically do
the first two. Special training is usually expected beyond the usual
ITP (Interpreter Training Program) for the third. I have never
encountered the last one as part of a sign language interpreter's job.
Usually, that is a separate profession. Those in real-time captioning
are often also trained as court reporters/stenographers. While both
interpreting and real-time captioning are often provided during
conferences, the interpreters are almost never involved in providing
real-time captioning. It is possible that the interpreting agencies
will provide both services, but the ones doing the work are _either_
interpreters _or_ captioners, but not trained in both skill sets.

Thanks,

Stuart