IMPORTANT: Nominating Valerie Sutton for the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education

Mark Guerrero mark.guerrero at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 12 01:52:06 UTC 2008

Hi All,

As I'm sure all of you are aware, Valerie Sutton has dedicated her life to
furthering the educational opportunities for the deaf community. She does
not seek any personal gain from her work.

My name is Mark Guerrero and I work for J.D. Power and Associates, a
business unit of the McGraw-Hills company
(www.*mcgraw*-*hill*.com/<http://www.mcgraw-hill.com/>).
Each year, McGraw-Hill honors an individual for their dedication to advance
the education of youth in the United States via an award titled - "Harold W.
McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education". I believe that Valerie Sutton well
exemplifies the dedication and excellence this award serves to honor. She
has far overshot the expectations that the award looks for in their award
criteria.

I am writing to ask for your assistance is communicating to the award's
Selection Committee the impact that Valerie has made on education in
America. Please help me nominate Valerie for this award by writing answers
to the questions below (bulleted answers are also welcome).

If Valerie is the recipient of the award, she will receive a $25,000 gift,
but more important, she will be recognized by some of the most influential
people in the publishing/educational community (board of
judges<http://www.mcgraw-hill.com/prize/judges.shtml>).
This can only serve to help Valerie and all of us further fund and support
the development of SignWriting around the world.

Please email your answers directly to me at - mark.guerrero at gmail.com. Your
prompt response would be most appreciated!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Mark

1. *Awards or Citations*
Please list any official acknowledgement of the nominee's contribution to
education: awards, citations, community recognition, etc.

2. **Rationale*
Please provide a brief narrative illustrating the nominee's
achievements nomination
criteria <http://www.mcgraw-hill.com/prize/nomination_criteria.shtml> (300
words maximum).

3. **Impact on a Key Issue*
Describe how nominee has demonstrated extraordinary leadership in
contributing to the research base, developing innovative practices or in
enhancing policy of an important area of education (300 words maximum).

4. **Effectiveness
*Describe how nominee has shown leadership in developing and implementing
programs that have had a demonstrable and positive impact on improving
teaching and learning (300 words maximum).

5. **Replication and Impact*
Provide evidence that other institutions, practitioners or policymakers have
used program or strategies designed by the nominee as a model (300 words
maximum).

6. **Compelling Public Voice
*Provide evidence that the nominee's work and opinions have had an impact on
public policy and the way Americans think about current education issues
(300 words maximum).