An online newsletter ... was ... Re: [sw-l] a few things...and Obama logo O plus rainbow

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 11 01:13:04 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
November 10, 2008

Years ago we published the SignWriter Newspaper...from 1981 to 1984 (http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist005.html
), with a staff of ten native signers. It was funded in part, by a
publishing company in Newport Beach, California...They paid for the
printing of 11,000 newspapers four times a year, and they also paid
for the postage to ship the newspapers free of charge to schools for
the Deaf etc around the country and to several European countries. It
was a wonderful grant that really was exciting. The SignWriter
Newspaper gave us four years of important experiences...it is because
of the SignWriter Newspaper that we now are writing expressively and
also in vertical columns, because through the experience of writing
articles for the newspaper, our Deaf staff learned what was needed to
make a better writing system and that is why Lucinda O'Grady Batch and
Meriam Ina Schroeder and Dennis Schemenauer and others felt so
strongly that the writing system had to be expressive and
vertical...so I see those years of the SignWriter Newspaper as one of
the best research projects we have ever had...

Then as you know, we stopped publication of the SignWriter Newspaper
from 1984 to 1989...to develop the SignWriter Computer Program, and
then we started a SignWriter Newsletter version for just a small group
of people...and it was typed by computer...Recently we have added
those SignWriter Newsletter articles starting in 1989, into the ASL
Literature Puddle. We could re-publish them now, in our new
formatting, using SignPuddle, and start sending the articles through
SignMail...

Once we have sent a few by SignMail to the SignWriting List, we can
ask all of our List members if they want to receive more...creating a
specific list of subscribers...and if there is interest, this could
become a wonderful project for me to ask for funding for...from new
sponsors...

Because of the financial crisis in the world right now, some of our
annual sponsors have not been sending their funding to us...I can
really understand why...one person told me that he lost a great deal
of money in the stock market and he couldn't help us right now...I
totally understand but I have also become stressed about this and I am
looking for new angles to encourage people to give...this new idea
might help...the idea that we can provide good information to Deaf
adults about the world, and at the same time encourage literacy too...

So let me see what I can do, Adam...

Meanwhile, your animated GIFs are so great and I look forward to
finishing the web pages for that, so everyone here on the List and see
your wonderful animated GIFs of the ISWA handshapes ;-))

Val ;-)

--------