Group 1 handshape symbol differentiation

Mon Sep 29 14:27:42 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 29, 2008

Thank you, Cherie, for your excellent explanation...which was
perfect....

Natasha - I believe you understand that the handshapes can rotate in 8
possible rotations now. But there is one misunderstanding I have
noticed in your questions. You assume that we are talking about
height. These rotations have nothing to do with how high or low your
hand is...or how near or far they are, because they represent
"planes"...

These palm facings represent "planes in space"...the classic example
of this is the sign for MY or MINE.

We write the sign for MY or MINE with a white palm touching the chest.
Obviously, if you look down at your hand touching your chest, you see
the overhead view of the side view of the hand, but we do not write it
that way...so it is not just based on what is in your own view, but it
is based instead on planes...essentially there is a "white palm plane"
that is written with a white palm, whether the hand is far or close to
the body...

If the palm is facing the chest, parallel to the Front Wall Plane,
whether it is close to your body or far from your body...it is all on
the same "white palm plane".... Try this...put your hand in the
position of the sign for MY, but far from your body, and then move it
in the exact position towards your chest....and then it touches your
chest...that is all the same plane or palm facing...

Another way to say it is that the sign for MY or MINE "feels like the
white palm" because the white palm is doing the contact...it is the
important meaning to the sign...

So the palm facings are on planes...see attached...take a look at the
white palm in all these positions...all of these could happen...the
white palm means that the hand is parallel to the Front Wall, with the
palm away from the Front Wall, no matter what the height or
depth...see attached...This shows the white palm with the Flat Palm
but it is the same for any white palm symbol, whether it is group 1 or
group 5: