AW: AW: AW: [sw-l] Mouth movements Bam

Tue Aug 18 16:13:10 UTC 2009

Hi Ingvild, Valerie and SW-listers,

Well Ingvild I looked at your spelling of “BAM”  - it is as Valerie said
many times before – all of us are free to write as we want to – as long as
it gives the feeling that what we write is what we want to express ...

In this case you did not want to write a “word”  but a non-manual marker.

I understand – no problem. The same thing is going on in DGS.

Interestingly you found a way to give us some kind of feeling of what it
feels like to perform this “non-manual marker” – obviously I come close to
it if I do some kind of voiceless  “BAM”

Well to perform “BAM”    does not mean to speak a word – it can just be kind
of  playing around with options of possible speech/sound production or even
lip gymnastics.

Well you decided to write this non-manual marker as     “BAM”  but not “BAB”
or “MAM” or “MAB”

The standards in GebaerdenSchrift allow to identify these different options
exactly ...So the signer is going to read what his mouth wants to express as
a “non-manual marker” – not specifically as a word!!

Stefan ;-)

  _____