Nominal vs Cardinal numbers in ASL

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 8 23:09:57 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
February 8, 2009

Hi Natasha!
That is certainly a good point, and of course using Arabic numerals
are fine...Years ago, in our storybooks, I started placing the page
numbers in both the Arabic numeral on one side of the page, and the
number written in American Sign Language was on the other side of the
same page, to give people a way to use either...

I was trying to encourage people to learn to read the numbers...and
when you have to look something up on "page 12", and you read that
page number in ASL quickly, it is one more tool for teaching
reading...the symbols start becoming "more familiar"...if you can find
the page, you know you read the SignWriting...

But certainly nothing is a requirement...I am just trying to update
old books...that is all...and the issue how to write page numbers had
come up over the years...

We seem to have "two opinions" on the actual writing of the ASL page
numbers...whether they be cardinal or nominal...but meanwhile, if you
don't want to write page numbers in ASL...that certainly solves that
one fast....;-)

By the way...we have some documents written in the Arabic spoken
language, on our site, because of research done on SignWriting in
Saudi Arabia and Jordan, and at one point we hired an Arabic
translator to translate around 30 pages of Dr. AbuShaira's
dissertation into English...there was something that really surprised
me in the original Arabic document...I could not find any Arabic
numerals the way we, in the west, know them...They are there on the
pages, but the Arabic numbers in actual Arabic documents look somewhat
different than what we use in the west...here in the west, we changed
the look of the numbers slightly...

How do Chinese documents number their pages? In Chinese? Or do they
use Arabic numbers now in their own style?

Meanwhile, I am going to continue to number our literature in both
Arabic and ASL numbers...I think it is useful to have both...

Val ;-)