AW: [sw-l] new subscriber

Wed May 13 14:20:23 UTC 2009

Hi Carol,

welcome to the SW –list. You will find lots of my projects in the past
around SignWriting or GebaerdenSchrift as we call it in Germany.

Let me ask a question: You write in your introduction:

“We began in 1997 to develop a sign language for our students, who use
Chitumbuka as the language of choice (they also must learn English, Chichewa
and often a tribal language).”

What is this ...“ we began to develop a sign language...”  Did you invent
signs for the different terms ( numbers, colours, animals, plants, abstract
concepts ..did you present these signs to your deaf students? Or did you
introduce ASL  or ... ? How did you collect your signs for your Sign
Language so far?  What about Malawian SignLanguage

Great to hear from you. Later you will keep this day in your mind – it was
the day your options to teach deaf students and hearing teacher became
brilliant. Valerie Sutton invented a wonderful system and lots of brilliant
software experts created great programs that allow us to feed the
“SignPuddle” or SignWriter  dictionary.

Do not hesitate to post your questions to the list. Onthe other and it makes
sense to browse through the SW-forum list archives or to look at the many,
many documents that are published on the website.

Have a great day

Stefan ;-)

I created another greeting card – saying in ASL  “This is a beautiful day” –
Sure it is!

  _____