how many hand symbols

Thu Sep 10 16:16:35 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 10, 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 8:11 AM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
> i was wondering, would you have a number of how many hand symbols
> there
> are in the ten categories? Not rotated symbols, just base symbols?
>
> many thanks
> maria

-----------------

Hello Maria!

I see Steve already answered you, which is perfect...

For your dissertation work, you can access Steve's database on the
ISWA online...Anyone can, and it is a great source of information. You
can search for BaseSymbols and so many other details of the ISWA 2008.
So bookmark this web page:

ISWA Database
http://signbank.org/swis/data.php

When you go there, click on the button "All BaseSymbols", or "All
SymbolGroups" and click on other subcategories and you will see a
detailed analysis of the ISWA symbols.

Also, another web page that will be of value:

SymbolBank ISWA 2008
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ISWA/

You will find a complete document of all the BaseSymbols there for
download...click on number 4 on that web page...

Also...

ISWA 2008 Downloads
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ISWA/downloads.html

and

the BaseSymbols of the ISWA are also animated GIFs now in these lessons:

ISWA BaseSymbol Animated GIFs
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/iswa/

So you have a lot to bookmark and study!

Thanks for your question -

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages