Got my copy of SW 300+ pager!

Tue Sep 20 19:07:36 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
September 20, 2011

Bob -
What a remarkable message - and what a remarkable person you are - skilled in ASL and Braille and chemistry and mathematics - very impressive indeed - A former professor from Gallaudet University? my goodness - how fascinating your life story would be - you need to write about all your experiences teaching Deaf students at Gallaudet, and then when the Deaf President Now movement occurred, how it changed your life - and working with Braille - I am amazed truly -

By the way, Adam is an interpreter for the Deaf-Blind as well ....

I wept at the story of Eve Carson - I did not know about her story - what a tragedy - and how beautiful she was and so brilliant - I read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Eve_Carson

She has just touched my life, and I will always remember her now -

Thank you for being on our SignWriting List, Bob -

Val ;-)

----------

On Sep 20, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Bob Gotwals wrote:

> I teach in a specialized high school for nerd science and math kids.  I taught at Gallaudet until DPN, and the faculty made it VERY uncomfortable for hearing people (yes, even ones like me that were near-native fluent in ASL).  I moved to teach in another specialized high school just outside of DC, now in NC, continuing my work with academically gifted kids.
>
> I've also been a Braille transcriber and teacher for many MANY years, starting when I was 7.  Still doing SOME Braille, but, like ASL, there isn't much call for either in a geek high school like mine.
>
> I have occasion to teach ASL on campus, mostly as an enrichment activity.  We had a deaf kid last year, now at NTID, and I taught him ASL so he could transition to NTID more smoothly.
>
> Eve Carson, by the way, was the student body president at UNC-Chapel Hill, who as abducted from her home late at night, taken out, and killed execution-style.  Her death still haunts many of us who live in the area.
>
> On 9/20/11 1:18 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>> SignWriting List
>> September 20,2011
>>
>> Hello Bob!
>> What impressive books you have written...
>>
>> I found your web page:
>>
>> Robert Gotwals, Chemistry, NCSSM
>> http://www.ncssm.edu/scholar/gotwals/classes/introduction-medicinal-chemistry
>>
>> I am happy to get to know more about your teaching and publishing. I am not a medicinal chemist (smile) nor a student of theoretical chemistry, but I can imagine your books are needed for your students and for teachers, and I bet they were a big job to write...
>>
>> I also like the statements you have at the bottom of your email...the first one by Eve Carson especially hits home for me - finding the joy in life means so much -
>>
>> Do you have Deaf students, or ASL signing students? I would assume so...
>>
>> Val ;-)
>>
>> --------

>>> LOL!  You won't like ANY of MY books!
>>>
>>> 1.  A Student Guide to Computational Quantum Chemistry
>>> 2.  A Student Guide to Computational Mouse Genomics