Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Jonathan Duncan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Thu Aug 14 00:15:08 UTC 2014

On 8/13/2014 3:27 PM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
> On 8/12/14, 3:47 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>> Hi Charles,
>>     I enjoyed your symposium *"Ordering Signs in Dictionaries"
>> http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0010.html
>> * I was wondering if Steve and Val had been able to find you a
>> solution.  Val mentioned that she thought that Steve would have an
>> easy way for you to do your sorting.
>
> There are 2 different issues involved here: the sorting mechanics and
> the sorting theory.
>
> Sorting Mechanics
> ============
> The mechanics are simple.  A linear ordered sequence of symbols can be
> assigned to any sign.  The symbols automatically sort according to the
> ISWA 2010 default order using a binary string comparison.  In our
> programs we can use > greater than or < less than comparisons.  From a
> database, we can use a simple "order by" clause.
>
> For each symbol, there are 2 kinds of mechanical sorting.  The major
> sorting between symbols and the minor sorting within symbol bases.
>
> For the major sorting between symbols, the list below is sorted by the
> default ISWA 2010 order.  Order other than this are possible, but
> require an additional step of creating a custom ordering of the
> symbols.  Only the default ISWA 2010 order has been implemented.
> Unicode has a way to reorder the major sorting issues involving
> special weights for each symbol base.
>

> For the minor sorting within the symbols, the default order starts
> with Fill 1 and Rotation 1.  Next is Fill 1 with Rotation 2, then the
> rest of the rotations for Fill 1.  After that are the symbols with
> Fill 2.  Only the default ISWA 2010 order has been implemented.  This
> may be an issue when the default ISWA 2010 order is not the desired
> order.

This is what I got from Charles talk too.
> Unicode may possibly have a way to reorder the minor sorting, but I'm
> not sure.

> Sorting Theory
> =========
> For sorting, the linear ordered list of symbols can be created using
> any writing symbols and any detailed location symbols.
>
> Creating the special sorting requires crafting a special sequence.
>
> If I understood Charles correctly, he would want to use Head Rims.
>

> Head Rims have a default sort order of the following...
>

> So the first symbol in the ordered sequence would be the dominant hand
> shape.  The next would be the appropriate Head Rim.  The third symbol
> would be the non-dominant hand.
This is interesting.  I hope Charles will be able to elaborate a little
more how he is ordering the sequence and whether he hopes it can be done
automatically or if we have to do it manually.

Regards,
Jonathan

> Regards,
> -Steve