[Sw-l] The first episode of the SignWriting Stream

Suzanne Pach suzannepach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 15:21:45 UTC 2020

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the video. Very impressive all the work you've done over the
years.

In case you don't know me... I learned SignWriting more than 10 years ago
when I was learning sign language. My life took a different direction, but
last year I got back into SignWriting when I attempted doing HoopWriting.
Recently I haven't been doing a lot of HoopWriting although I'm still
hooping and haven't forgotten it! :)

You mention it's hard to say who your target audience is, because most
people either use SignWriting but don't know programming or they know
programming but don't use SignWriting. You asked feedback so you know
better what to focus on on your future videos. I think the video was very
interesting, but it could be clearer about what help you need (if any). You
mention your patreon site but would you also like help in other ways? And
if so in what ways? It would be helpful if you made very clear requests.
For the SignWriting users this could be requests for example about input
you need of them about what functionalities of the various SignWriting
sites they find most important, what's missing etc. For the technical
people this could be requests about specific functionalities that need
building. At the moment it is a lot of information and it is hard to know
where to start. (I haven't really been involved with SignWriting recently,
so sorry if I mention things that already have been talked about a lot...)

Talking about the two different audiences I kind of fit into both. I know
SignWriting and I'm learning programming at the moment (eventually I would
like to use my programming skills to develop e-learnings). So far I've
learned some HTML/CSS and a little bit of Python and Javascript. So
hopefully in future I could be of some help if needed. I try to learn a bit
every day and apart from doing tutorials etc it would be good to do some
real life programming to put my skills into practice, so potentially that
could be something SignWriting related. However I'm still very much a
beginner.

I hope this feedback is of some use to you. Good luck with the next
SignWriting Stream!

Kind Regards,
Suzanne Pach

sutton at signwriting.org